Dosing and administration for ORENCIA® (abatacept) SC
ORENCIA SC dosing1
ORENCIA SC (125-mg) should be administered once weekly and may be initiated with or without an ORENCIA IV loading dose.
For patients initiating therapy with an IV loading dose, ORENCIA should be initiated with a single IV infusion (as per body weight categories listed in the ORENCIA IV adult dosing by weight table), followed by the first 125-mg SC injection administered within a day of the IV infusion.
Patients transitioning from ORENCIA IV therapy to SC administration should administer the first SC dose instead of the next IV dose.
Note: ORENCIA SC is available for adults only and is intended for use under the guidance of a physician or healthcare practitioner.
ORENCIA prefilled syringe with Ultrasafe Passive® needle guard1
Preparation and administration1
Supplies needed for ORENCIA SC injection:
- Prefilled syringe with UltraSafe Passive® Needle Guard
- Alcohol swab
- Adhesive bandage
- Cotton ball or gauze
- Sharps disposal
General injection instructions1
For more detailed administration information:
1. Preparing for an ORENCIA injection Remove 1 single-use ORENCIA prefilled syringe from the refrigerator and let it warm up for 30 to 60 minutes to allow it to reach room temperature.
2. Inspect Look for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration; do not use if either are present; ORENCIA SC should be clear and colorless to pale yellow.
3. Choose and prepare an injection site Rotate injection sites and do not inject into areas where the skin is tender, bruised, red, or hard.
4. Inject ORENCIA Inject the full amount in the syringe.
5. Disposal Discard used syringes into biohazard containers.
Note: ORENCIA SC injection, 125 mg/syringe is not intended for IV infusion. For more detailed administration information, see the Full Prescribing Information.
Storage and handling for ORENCIA SC1
- ORENCIA solution supplied in a prefilled syringe should be refrigerated at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F)
- Do not use beyond the expiration date on the prefilled syringe*
- Protect from light by storing in the original package until time of use
- Do not allow the prefilled syringe to freeze